AGA LAB has existed as a workshop and studio for professional visual artists and designers since 1958. During this period, the AGA evolved from a traditional workshop into a multidisciplinary graphic production centre for contemporary artists, designers and photographers. Present-day AGA LAB is a workshop with broad facilities and services for image-makers and has well-equipped facilities for creative professionals seeking technical and substantive support for their plans and projects. AGA LAB’s vision is to be the leading institute as a climate-aware centre for artists, that stimulates and develops crossovers and innovation, as well as guarding the graphic cultural heritage and making it accessible to a large audience.
AGA LAB makes its workshop and printing presses available to professional artists, designers and photographers for a fee and also provides an annual activity program with workshops and masterclasses. AGA LAB has a presentation room for exhibitions and workshops. For the Artists in Residence (AiRs) program, AGA LAB has two basic living spaces available where artists who want to work for a longer period at AGA LAB can live internally. A dynamic and international network with fellow institutes ensures many exchange programs with guest artists, presentations, exhibitions and Artists in Residence. More than a quarter of the AGA LAB users come from abroad. AGA LAB is a foundation with five permanent part-time employees. In addition, AGA LAB can appeal to a large number of volunteers. Daily management is in the hands of a director. The board controls remotely. Most of the funding comes from subsidies, the main source of which is the four-yearly structural subsidy from the Municipality of Amsterdam that has just been awarded.
Due to the departure of the current director, AGA LAB is looking for a director.
For AGA LAB, 2020 is the year in which it becomes clear whether AGA LAB can continue in its current form. To this end, the board and current management have drawn up a multi-year plan in which concrete actions have been specified. In addition to acquiring the necessary basic financing from the Municipality of Amsterdam, generating additional income by investing in entrepreneurship is an important task.
- Affinity with the Amsterdam and global cultural world and having a relevant network within it;
- “Know how wheels spin” in relevant municipal authorities and institutions, to be able to represent the interests of AGA LAB;
- Experience in acquiring and managing grants and sponsorships (government, funds, business);
- Knowledge of local and national laws and regulations concerning the cultural and creative sector;
- Demonstrable experience in managing (creative) professionals and volunteers;
- Demonstrable experience with business processes (finance, IT, AO processes, HRM, etc.);
- Experience in managing a small (culture) organization;
- Experience in cooperation with a board;
- Knowledge of and experience with modern marketing and communication techniques;
- Working in a result-oriented manner;
- Be able to translate (ambitious) objectives into concrete strategy and operational actions;
- Be able to draw up a qualitative and financial strategy (4-year Arts Plan) and Operational Plan (annual Budget)
- Entrepreneurial and professional;
- Organizational talent, leadership skills and team player;
- Culture-commercial skills, further develop products and services;
- A well-developed sense of priorities;
- Organizationally skilled and flexible;
- Hands-on mentality;
- Thinks in terms of challenges and opportunities and takes them too;
- Energetic and committed;
- Communicative skills, in both Dutch and English;
- Having an eye for cost control and being able to make interim budget plans such as setting up a monthly cash flow forecast and discussing it with the board.
Stimulating diversity in a broad sense (perspectives, culture, age, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc.) is an ambition of AGA LAB. AGA LAB accordingly strives for a balanced workforce. This is taken into account in the selection procedure.
What we offer
An interesting and dynamic job in the heart of Amsterdam’s cultural and creative centre. The available graphic facilities are state of the art and, together with the team of committed employees and volunteers, form a professional and pleasant working environment. AGA LAB has an enthusiastic and experienced board. The users and volunteers of AGA LAB together form a vibrant melting pot of nationalities and cultures.
Projects are regularly set up and realized with residents’ organizations in the vicinity of the establishment. In addition to its facilitating core task, AGA LAB is increasingly active in programming crossovers with other local, national and international cultural institutions. The cooperation with higher vocational education and vocational education in Amsterdam and the business community in a general sense is experienced by both parties as very positive and can be further developed.
Terms of employment
Offered is a position for 24 hours with a gross salary of a maximum of 4,500 euros (excluding holiday pay) based on full-time employment. It is agreed in consultation when the hours per week will be used.
The employment lasts at least 1 year with the prospect of a permanent appointment. There is a trial period of 1 month.
Employment in consultation after completion of the application procedure.
Candidates can only send in their CV with motivation by mail before September 21 with the subject: “AGA LAB application”. This mail should be sent to the chairman of the board, Rob Huisman, firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, please contact us via the mail address mentioned earlier.